Meditating on the Attributes of God
Today, each of us will face troubles of many kinds. Just ask Mel Gibson. Trouble should be our normal expectation. Jesus said, ” In this world you will have trouble.” (John 16:33).
God is up to things we cannot comprehend. He “gives” us troubles to accomplish His purposes-they are a grace, a gift, the means of His sovereign will. For example, how many more people will see Mel Gibson’s movie (and believe) because of the controversy and trouble it has caused him? Without Gibson’s troubles The Passion would be a small, eccentric film few ever hear of, much less see.
How do you cope with your troubles? Jesus went on to say, “.but take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33 ). One way we can plug into the “overcoming” of Jesus is to meditate on His attributes. Over the years I have compiled a list of God’s attributes, usually when I needed to experience Him that way, so they take on a strong personal meaning to me. Here’s my list..
- Holy, Sovereign, Great, Awesome, Almighty, Creator
- Loving, Gracious, Merciful, Faithful, Patient
- Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent, Omni-benevolent, Self-Existent
- All wise, Eternal, Infinite, Immortal, Invisible, Immutable
- Transcendent, Immanent
- Alpha, Omega
- King of kings, Lord of lords, President of presidents, CEO of CEOs
- God who was, is, and is to come, in Whom there is no shadow of turning
- The Holy Spirit, The Comforter, the Counselor
- The Wonderful Counselor, the Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace
- The Door, the Gate, the Good Shepherd
- The Bread of Life, the Living Water
- The Way, the Truth, the Life
- Savior, LORD
- The soon and coming King
- The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world
Suggestion: Consider making your own list of God’s attributes (or use this one). Put it somewhere handy. I keep mine in my Bible. Pull it out when, because of troubles, you need a reminder of God greatness and goodness. I suspect meditating on Christ is the thing keeping Mel Gibson sane.
For the glory of Christ and no other reason,