The Rules of Fishing
“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.” (Mark 1:17 ).
No words are more thrilling to the man who wants to be a soul-winner than these few words of Jesus. It is how Jesus plans to usher in his kingdom. So it’s important to think like a fisherman…
THE RULES OF FISHING:
- You have to put a line in the water.
- There must be a hook at the end of the line.
- There must be bait on the hook.
- You must cast the bait reasonably near a fish.
- Different fish go for different baits at different times. Good fishermen consider this.
- You must know when to set the hook. Some fish hook themselves immediately. Others run with the bait before they swallow it. If you have a runner, it will spit out the bait if it feels resistance (pressure).
- You must know how to set the hook. Fishing is a skill.
- If all previous points are done correctly, all that’s left is to reel in your fish.
- However, many fish escape just as you try to bring them into the boat (a heroic last ditch effort to escape the net).
For the glory of Christ and no other reason,