What is the Gospel? (Part 3)
False Start #3: The Gospel is about leading a moral life.
Before I met Christ I had my own morality pretty well in hand. I thought I was a pretty good Christian — False Start #3. Many of your men will also feel the same way. But the Bible says we must be born again. Otherwise we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.
There are many false starts that disguise the true Gospel. Here is a list of ones we have discussed and a few others…
- The Gospel is about leading a moral life (e.g., integrity)
- The Gospel is about regulating our behavior (e.g., following rules like not going to movies)
- The Gospel is about performance (e.g., hard worker for the church)
- The Gospel is about being religious (e.g., religious posture, talking religious)
- Being a good person (e.g., turning the other cheek)
- Leading a good life (e.g., not having bad habits like smoking)
- Doing good deeds (e.g., useful as evidence of faith but not the same as faith)
Can there be any doubt that many of our men think they are saved because they are relying on a false Gospel?
Dwight L. Moody once said, “before you get a man saved, you must first get a man lost.” Perhaps we need to follow Moody’s advice and help some of our men get lost so that they can be truly saved.
My life’s work is to teach Christianity to people who are convinced they are already Christians. That should be a part of all of our life’s work. Let’s accept the challenge to persuade men who are relying on their religiosity, their morality, being a good person, leading a good life, or doing good deeds that they must be born again! Otherwise, they will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Engage Men With The Gospel of Jesus
It should be our goal as Christian leaders to engage every man in our spheres of influence with a credible offer of the Gospel of Jesus and the resources to grow. As Paul said, “So then, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the vision from heaven. …I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds” (Acts 26:18-19).
Are you engaging men who think they are saved but are not? If yes, praise God. If not, let me encourage you to pray about how you can make sure those men are not left behind when they thought they were going to be on the bus.
Your brother in the battle,