460 -Two Great Ways to Lead a Men’s Small Group
NOTE: At FUEL, Man in the Mirror’s 2012 Leadership Summit, we presented eight tools that leaders can use with their men. Over eight weeks we’re going to present them to you, too. Click here to download the PDF version.
Man in the Mirror has more than 500 video Bible Studies that you can use in a small group setting. These are all available for download or streaming for FREE at the Man in the Mirror website. Here’s how to use them in a small group:
- Go to www.maninthemirror.org and click on the Weekly Video Bible Study graphic at the bottom. (If you don’t have an account, you’ll have to set it up first. It’s free.)
- The most recent message will be featured at the top, with the past few weeks’ listed underneath.
- You can click on the button for ‘Series’ at the top to see all of the different series by title. The number of messages in each series is shown.
- When you select a message, you can download a handout with space for notes and discussion questions. Make copies for your group.
- Click on the video to play it, or click on the ‘Download’ tab under the video to download the video (or audio only). If you are showing it to a group, you may want to download it to avoid any problems with internet connectivity or bandwidth.
- Gather your group around a computer screen, or use a projector to show it to a larger group. Make sure to distribute the handouts first.
- You can also register your group at www.maninthemirror.org by clicking on the ‘Start-A-Group’ tab at the top. This could help other guys looking for a group in your area find you.
A recommended schedule for a Men’s Small Group using the Video Bible Study:
- Start promptly at the agreed upon time.
- Open with a quick prayer and then start the video. This should take about 35 minutes.
- Take 20 minutes for discussion time using the handouts.
- Spend 5 minutes at the end to pray for each other.
- For longer time periods, expand the discussion and prayer times.
The Equipping the Man in the Mirror magazine has built-in tools to use with your small group. Each small group meeting is based on a week’s worth of devotions, which serves the additional purpose of encouraging men to spend some quiet time in the Word five days a week. Here’s how to use it:
- Make sure everyone has a copy of the magazine. Each man can subscribe, or you can get a bulk subscription and distribute them.
- Read through the Equipping Your Men’s Small Group section when you get your copy. This will give you a 13-week plan for your group.
- Start each week with the group discussion questions at the end of each week’s devotions in a box called For Your Small Group.
- Use the Equipping Your Men’s Small Group section to dig deeper. Each week has a Suggested Action Step for your group to accomplish.
- Additional resources for study or to dig deeper are listed as well.
- Start promptly at the agreed upon time. Open with a quick prayer.
- Take 5-10 minutes to review the previous week’s Suggested Action Step and to follow up on any assignments.
- Spend 20-25 minutes on the discussion questions at the end of the previous week’s devotionals.
- Spend 15-20 minutes on the Suggested Action Step.
- Spend 5-10 minutes at the end to pray for each other.
- For longer time periods, expand the sections as desired.
#460 © 2012. Patrick Morley. All rights reserved. This article may be reproduced for non-commercial ministry purposes with proper attribution.