How to Lead a Man to Christ
This article was originally published as a part of the series titled “Just A Thought”
If you are not sure a man has already come to Christ, ask him, “(Name), has there ever been a time in your life when you have personally put your faith in Christ to forgive your sins and receive the gift of eternal life?”
If ‘yes,’ ask him to describe it. If he can give you a clear testimony, congratulate him. If not, proceed as though he answered ‘no’.
If ‘no,’ say , “May I take a few minutes and explain what Christians believe about who Jesus is, why He came, and what believing in Him means?”
Then, look up the following verses and read them together. Make sure he reads the words for himself, whether silently or out loud. (Idea: Mark Bible pages with Post Its. Number them 1, 2, 3, and so on. Idea: Leave out or add verses as you are led. Idea: Write these verses on the inside cover of your Bible.)
1. Who is Jesus? He is the Savior, John 4:25-26 He is God, Hebrews 1:3, Colossians 1:15, Colossians 2:9, John 14:9, John 10:30 He is the only way to the Father, John 14:6
2. Why did Jesus come? To seek the lost, Luke 19:10 To save sinners, 1 Timothy 1:15 To demonstrate God’s love, Romans 5:6-8 To atone for our sins, 1 John 4:9-10 To become the source of eternal salvation, Hebrews 5:8-9
3. What does belief in Jesus mean? We receive eternal life, John 3:16, John 11:25-27, Romans 6:23 We receive forgiveness of sins, 1 John 1:8-9 We become children of God, John 1:12
4. How do you become a follower of Jesus? We become Christians through repentance and faith, Ephesians 2:8-9.
Tell your man, “Nothing we do can ever make us good enought for God to love us. Instead, He loves us because He made us and Jesus died for our sins. We become a Christian by confessing that we are sinful and putting faith in Jesus to forgive our sins and give us the gift of eternal life. Prayer is the way we talk to God. Here is a suggested prayer:
“Lord Jesus, I need you in my life. I confess that I am sinful and that I need a Savior. Thank you for dying for my sins. Thank you for offering me the gift of eternal life. By faith I now put my trust in you to forgive my sins and give me the gift of eternal salvation. I invite you to change me and make me the man you want me to be. Amen.”
After reading the prayer out loud, ask him if this prayer expresses the desire of his heart. If he says, “Yes,” then ask him to pray it out loud after you one phrase at a time. Congratulate him. Offer to help him grow. Invite him to church. Encourage him to share what he has done with his loved ones. See if he would feel comfortable sharing it right away with someone in your presence. Make it a celebratory moment – on earth as it is in heaven.
Related previous issues of A Look in the Mirror…
20. How to Introduce Executives to Christ
21. Recovering a Vision for Making Disciples
22. Reach 3: An Engaging Offer of Christ for Every Man
23. How to Talk About Jesus Without Sounding Like a Nut
© 2002 Patrick M. Morley. All rights reserved. This article may be reproduced for any non-commercial use with proper attribution.