Tired of the Roller Coaster? Want to Sustain Momentum?
If you’re tired of having great retreats, seminars, and outreach events that don’t go anywhere (six months later you’re back to zero), try integrating men into the “existing” ministries of your church.
When you think about it, isn’t populating your existing growth and service opportunities why you do events in the first place? You can also offer something “new” if you want.
Plan everything out before the event. Remember, men do what they want—not what you want. So offer several options for both growth (“equipping”) and service (“sending”) like:
- A book study that will discuss a chapter a week
- A “how to find your service niche in the church” meeting during the Sunday school hour
- Join an existing Bible study or home group
- Start a new round of Bible study groups
- A missions trip
- Join the prison ministry team on its next trip
- An opportunity to visit one of three local ministries to the poor and homeless
- A class to uncover your spiritual gifts
- Leader training for elders or deacons or men’s ministry
- An ongoing weekly Bible study that you teach as pastor
- Any ministry of the church that needs volunteers
Yours for changed lives,
Patrick Morley, Ph.D.