What is the Gospel?
This article was originally published as a part of the series titled “Just A Thought”
External to us–God’s part:
1. Law–which shows us our sin, Romans 5:20, 7:7
2. Grace–which draws us to Christ, Romans 5:15-20
Internal to us–Our part (through the Holy Spirit):
1. Repentance–which leads to knowledge of the truth and salvation, 2 Timothy 2:25, 2 Corinthians 7:9-10, Luke 5:30-31
2. Faith–which gives us access to grace, peace, justifies us, and rescues us from sin, Romans 5:1-2, 3:21-31
3. Growth (Sanctification)–which helps us become more like Jesus, 1 Peter 2:2, 3:18
4. Works (Deeds)–which is the fruit of repentance and faith, James 2:14-22, Romans 4:2-3, 11:6, Ephesians 2:8-10, Colossians 1:10, 2 Thessalonians 2:16, Acts 20:26, Luke 3:82.
Summary: Work, work, work, but all to the praise and glory of Jesus Christ because you are so indescribably grateful and overjoyed at the tender mercies of His grace and goodness, and in awe of His holiness and greatness. It’s failing at law, law, law that makes us see our sin and want the cross; it’s grace, grace, grace which draws us to the cross; it’s faith, faith, faith by which we embrace the cross; it’s grow, grow, grow at the foot of the cross; it’s work, work, work from the cross to the world–but because we have the cross, not in order to earn the merit to gain it.
© 2002 Patrick M. Morley. All rights reserved. This article may be reproduced for any non-commercial use with proper attribution.