Success That Matters: 70 Things Every Man Needs to Know
62. Success That Matters
Excerpted from Pastoring Men, Moody Publishers.
One of the great problems we see in our work at Man in the Mirror is not that men are failing to achieve their goals. In most cases, they are achieving them. The problem is they are the wrong goals. Many men get what they want only to find it doesn’t matter.
Failure means to not get what you want. Another way of defining failure, though, is to say that failure means to succeed in a way that doesn’t really matter.
What, then, is success that matters–true success? Success that matters means a full-orbed, well-balanced, priority-based, thought-through success. It begins with the solid foundation of Christ as Lord. No man will sense he has been truly successful unless he can honestly answer “yes” to all of the following ten questions:
- Am I growing in faith and love for the Lord Jesus every day?
- Am I actively helping my family grow in their faith in Christ?
- Am I making a significant contribution in my church?
- Am I doing everything possible to help my children become responsible adults?
- Am I building a strong, loving marriage?
- Am I investing in other people’s lives as a friend, counselor, accountability partner, and mentor?
- Am I a good provider?
- Am I living a life of integrity and good deeds?
- Am I performing fulfilling work?
- Will I go to heaven when I die?
Reprint these questions and give them to your men. Have men discuss these questions in small groups.
For More: (1) See Part 7, “The Season of Success,” in Seven Seasons of the Man in the Mirror, from which the ten questions are excerpted; also (2) go to www.pastoringmen.com and click on “62. Success That Matters” to see or hear the Success and the Man in the Mirror series.
#443 © 2011. Patrick Morley. All rights reserved. This article may be reproduced for non-commercial ministry purposes with proper attribution.